John Darmanin is a Partner in our highly regarded real estate team.
He has broad commercial property experience, with a particular focus on the acquisition and disposal of high value commercial, industrial and mixed-use properties, together with commercial and industrial leasing and property developments.
John has acted for a diverse group of clients, ranging from local and national property investors and developers to large listed Australian and overseas companies - including several household names. His clients enjoy his commercial approach and ability to build relationships, with several of John’s clients viewing him as a ‘key advisor’ and an important extension of their businesses.
John holds bachelor degrees in law and commerce.
Prior to joining SBA Law, John spent several years in senior roles in leading national property law practices. He also spent time honing his skills in a professional in-house role for a global, overseas listed company with a focus on property law information and services.
During his career, John has acted on several significant matters including:
- Acted for a leading Australian property developer in the acquisition of several key sites, including a CBD office tower, major suburban shopping plaza and former chemical manufacturing facility.
- Acted for a major Asia Pacific real estate group in the leasing of its industrial, office and wholesale market assets across multiple Australian states. This work included freehold assets and complex State owned and head leased portfolios.
- Acted for multiple clients in substantial land acquisition projects in Melbourne’s western growth corridor.
- Acted for an overseas listed hotelier in the $240m acquisition of a 5-star Melbourne hotel, which is situated on a complex Crown land site.
- Acted for a superannuation fund in the acquisition of 4 central Melbourne building sites, part of a $1b mixed use development.
- Acted for a Western Australian syndicator in multiple strategic property acquisitions, including a national logistics portfolio spanning seven states and territories, a pharmaceutical facility in Melbourne and a hotel in Brisbane.
- Acted for a New Zealand listed retirement village owner and operator on several strategic development site acquisitions.